St. Patrick's Pot O' Gold Hunt
The Plan: Your family, friends, or date munch on the numbered cupcakes, find the secret message cleverly hidden inside, decipher the message, find the pot o' gold, they call you a St. Patrick's Day pro, and you all enjoy a good movie.
- typed up clue poem (below or you can create your own), cut into individual strips
- aluminum foil
- cake mix of your choice and ingredients needed for it
- cupcake baking cups
- cupcake tin
- white frosting
- green sparkle gel frosting
- yellow sugar sprinkles
Pot O' Gold-
- black cauldron
- 2 sheets gold metallic tissue paper folded in half lengthwise
- gold ribbon
- movie (I used Finding Neverland)
The Poem (written by the poet Shela...a.k.a my mom):
- For an evening of fun our edible gold
- Hides in a room where stories are told
- Places for sleep don't house this treat
- Nor does it go where water pipes flow
- So keep your sights up and look for a screen
- And maybe you'll find this pot-o-gold scene.
The How-To:1. Tear off two 2 in. wide strips of aluminum foil.
2. Roll up one of the strips of the poem...
...and then roll that in one of the aluminum foil strips a couple of inches in and tear off. Each strip of aluminum foil should be able to do at least 3 poem strips.
Now press the poem wrapped in aluminum foil flat (if there is too much air left then the poem will float in the cupcake batter) and fold each end inwards so that you have a little rectangle. Repeat with the other poem strips being careful to keep track of the order they go in.
3. Make the cake mix as directed on the box, put the baking cups in the cupcake pan and pour the batter into the cups. Now press the aluminum foil rectangle with the first part of the poem fully into one of the uncooked cupcakes. Be sure that it is fully immersed.
Repeat with the rest of the poem, again being careful to keep track of the order. I placed a dot with some of the batter next to the cupcake with the first piece of the poem.
4. Bake the cupcakes as directed on the cake mix box, let cool, then frost them with the white frosting...
...number them with the green sparkle gel frosting and sprinkle with yellow sugar sprinkles.
If you would like to you can be decorative with how the cupcakes are presented. I was pretty simple and used a gold platter with some paper strips on top.
5. Grab the cauldron and place the two folded sheets of gold metallic tissue paper inside so that the interior is covered.
Pop your popcorn, place inside the cauldron along with the movie. Tie a bow on one side of the cauldron handle and put it where you plan on having the poem lead to (where you will watch the movie).
And now enjoy as your family munches on some cupcakes and officially celebrates St. Patrick's Day!
Not getting pinched this time around? Oh, I Got This!